Kid favorite “Pop Tarts” are now super easy and fun to make at home! Start your morning with these bite-size rectangular shaped pastries of goodness. Add your favorite milk, just like cereals or go insane and change the flavor of the jam to grape, peaches or strawberries. You can also replace it with chopped fruits, nut butter, Nutella….the possibilities are endless! These mini breakfast bites might take some little time to make, but oh, every single bite is worth the wait.
For a healthier version, you can substitute the sugar with agave, honey or maple syrup, and replace butter with applesauce or greek yogurt. Aside from breakfast, these mini pop tarts are also perfect for holiday occasions, parties, and even on a simple get-together. Kids, including the young at heart, will surely love these tiny comfort foods!
- 2 and 1/4 cups of flour
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup raspberry filling
- Food coloring
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
1. In a mixing bowl, add flour, melted butter, sugar and one egg yolk.
2. Keep kneading dough until texture is smooth.
3. Cover the bowl using a cling/plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for about 1.5 hours.
4. Remove the dough out of the fridge and add the other yolk, and continue kneading.
5. Flatten dough using a rolling pin and cut into an even number of tiny rectangles.
6. Lay a parchment/baking paper on a baking tray and place half of the rectangles.
7. Place, at least, a teaspoon of the jam filling onto each rectangle.
8. Next, cover each piece with the same rectangular size dough on top.
9. Press down the sides to close the pastry and press the side edges using a fork.
10. Allow the pop tarts to bake in the oven for about 20-30 minutes at 360-degrees Fahrenheit or 182-degrees Celsius.
1. Add one tablespoon of lemon juice in powdered sugar. Add a few drops of food coloring and mix until combined.
2. Finally, glaze the mixture on top each pastry. Serve with a dash of sprinkles and a glass of milk.
I hope you enjoyed this mini pop tart recipe! Let us know how it goes if you try it.