You probably heard about recycling and upcycling and if you have an old T-shirt plus a pair of sharp scissors, the possibilities are endless. For now, here’s simple headband that you can make. You’ll be surprised how comfortable it is.
- Old T-shirt
- Glue gun
- Scissors and ruler
- Start with cutting the bottom of your old T-shirt then cut 6 strips from the T-shirt that are about 1″ wide.
- Gently pull and stretch the strips. This should make the edges curl a little bit.
- Once you have all the strips even, cut one end of the loop leaving you with 6 long strips. Divide into two, each with 3 strips
- Make a sailor knot. This is the most complicated part of the process but it takes time and practice.
- Make a loop out of the first set of 3 strips
- Place the second set of 3 strips over it, creating a ‘U’
- Place the ends of the second set under the first strips
- Take the top end of the second strip and weave it through
- Gently pull all ends to create the knot
- Measure around your head to get the length you want your headband to be.
- Gather ends and trim off the excess
- Line up your strip’s ends, put some glue and from a scrap of what was cut off, line it at the end and gently push down the glue. This will secure the loose ends together.
- Trim off the excess and repeat on the other end
- From the remaining fabric of the T-shirt, cut 4″x3″
- Wrap around the ends and secure with glue (or you can sew it)
Have you tried other styles for DIY headbands from old t-shirts? How did you like them?