We can’t believe we just found a healthier version of one of our all time favorite treats… We present to you baked blueberry donuts! If you are crazy for this sweet delicacy, but feeling guilty about it being fried, then you need to try this recipe out. We assure you, these donuts are the real deal! Each bite is so delicious that you won’t be able to put them down!
What makes these sweet treats oh-so-nutritious are the fresh blueberries! Blueberries are low in fat and rich in Vitamin C which makes them an effective stress fighting food. Plus, a dose of 500mg of Vitamin C a day can give you a boost of collagen that makes your skin firmer, helps diminish brown spots, and heals other types of skin damage. It also keeps your teeth and gums healthy. Eating blueberries or any type of fruits that are rich in Vitamin C can also help strengthen your immune system, reducing cancer risk and cardiovascular diseases.
Blueberries are also known to have the highest antioxidant content of all healthy foods. Antioxidants prevent aging and protect you from free radicals. In addition to that, the complex carbohydrates found in blueberries can also provide an extra energy boost on a busy day without the fear of “crash” which you often get from other energy/sugary drinks. These make blueberries an excellent healthy snack alternative!
Ok so eating any kind of doughnut baked or fried probably isn’t the greatest thing for you but we did our best to make it sound healthy 😀
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 Cup of Plain All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1/3 Cup of Caster Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup of Low Fat Vanilla Yoghurt
- 1 Egg
- 250g Fresh Blueberries
1. Dry ingredients: Into a mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, caster sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
2. Wet ingredients: Into a measuring cup or small bowl, combine yogurt, egg and vanilla extract.
3. Next, pour the wet ingredients mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combine.
4. Next, add the blueberries and gently fold the mixture.
5. Grab your donut pan and spray it with cooking oil. Next add the mixture into each donut hole.
6. Preheat your oven. Bake the donuts for at least 10 to 12 minutes or until done at 190 degrees C or 374 degrees F.
7. Transfer the cooked donuts on a wire rack, and sprinkle with caster sugar, cinnamon sugar or vanilla sugar.