Are you trying to go for all natural products for your skin? Perhaps you’re one of those interested to find out whether natural or organic products feel, and work better. That is really a good decision, especially, if you have that desire to moderate your exposure to harsh substances, and its potential risks to your health.
We know for a fact that most commercial shaving creams are made from essential oils derivatives, preservatives, and other chemicals. But the exact or actual contents of commercial shaving creams often are not listed. And because of this, it’s not that easy for us to trust which brand is the safest for our skin. If you are unsure of the ingredients added in your shaving cream product, try homemade shaving cream! The all natural cream recipe is free from harsh chemicals and safe for the most sensitive skin.
So, whatever reasons you may have for switching to a natural product, know that you just made a good decision. Here’s an easy guide for a DIY shaving cream.
You will need:
- 1/3 cup solid coconut oil
- 1/3 cup shea butter
- ¼ cup sweet almond oil
- 4-6 drops tobacco bay leaf fragrance oil or a scent you prefer
- Plastic bale jar
- Electric mixer
- Microwave-safe bowl
1. First, you will need to get a microwaveable container that you will use for this purpose. Use this bowl to mix the coconut oil and the shea butter. Microwave the mixture on high heat for 30 seconds, until completely dissolved. Make sure no solids are left.
2. Take the bowl out of the microwave oven then put in the sweet almond oil and the fragrance oil of your choice and mix. Refrigerate the mixture until it’s in its solid form then take it out and allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes.
3. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer then fluff it up.
4. Keep the mixture in a plastic jar with a tight lid until ready for use.
5. You can apply a small amount of your DIY shaving cream before you shave. Don’t forget to moisten your skin with warm water before you put on some shaving cream.
Some additional things you need to take note of:
Although the ingredients used in this DIY shaving cream are gentle and chemical-free, it is safe to test it on a small patch of skin before you apply to a larger area.
This chemical-free shaving cream does not contain soap, so it won’t lather. It works like a lotion that acts as a protective layer between your skin and the shaver.
You may need to refrigerate your homemade shaving cream if you are living in a place where the climate is extremely hot since it will easily melt. However, when the cream solidifies, you need to fluff it up again with an electric mixer before using it.