Mother’s Day has always been about giving moms bouquet of flowers, a special treat for brunch or dinner or cards with a touching message. Beautiful flowers and dining at fancy restaurants are always nice, but did you know that you can make this day way more awesome for her? With just a little labor of love, you can give mom something extra special that she won’t forget ever!
Baking sweet treats and serving a warm cup of tea as a way of saying “Thank you” and “I love you, Mom,” for Mother’s Day is a brilliant idea! Nothing quite hits a mother’s heart like getting homemade treats, especially if it’s her favorite goody.
Scones are one of the most popular and favorite tea-time treats to eat and they are easy to make, too. You can prepare this comfort food for your dear mother in under an hour. And, if you are looking to really impress her on this special day, you can also make some delicious healthy sandwiches.
So, if you are thinking of what to give your mom on Mother’s Day, opt for an idea that’s unique and something that comes from-the-heart.
Mini Chocolate and Orange Scones/ Assorted Sandwiches
- 1 ½ c Flour
- 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
- ¾ c Frozen Salted Butter
- ¾ c Milk Chocolate Chips
- Zest of 1 Orange
- ½ c Semi Skimmed Milk
- ½ c Thick Cream
- Horseradish Sauce
- Prawn Mayonnaise
- Chili Sauce
- Roast Beef Slices
Here are the steps for preparing mini chocolate and orange scones:
1. Combine the flour and baking powder together then using a dull knife or pastry cutter, blend the frozen butter cubes through the flour until well coated. Wet your hands with cold water and continue rubbing the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Shake the bowl to bring any lumps to the surface.
2. Add the ¾ cup milk chocolate chips and mix well together
3. Add orange zest to the ½ cup semi skimmed milk, then pour over the butter and flour mixture. Blend them well using a dull knife then squeeze and pull together using your hands. Wrap and refrigerate for half an hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 220°C
5. Line the baking sheet with non-stick greaseproof paper
6. Flour your work surface, before you start making your mini scones. Roll the scone dough and using a mini scone cutter dipped in flour, cut a 3cm-thick dough straight down. No need to knead as it will result to a chewy scone.
7. Before baking, brush each scone tops with milk, making sure you brush just an ample amount. Avoid having milk running down the sides of the scones. This will break-off the chance for a good upward rise. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
While waiting for your scones, you can use the 15 minutes waiting time for making sandwiches. Spread a thin layer of butter on each slice of bread.
Beef and Horseradish Sandwiches
Top the butter with a thin layer of horseradish. Then, add a slice of beef, add some fresh watercress and cover it with another slice of bread. Cut the crust off thinly.
Make your own prawn spread by combining cooked prawns, diced avocado and mayonnaise. Add a bit of sweet chili sauce and mix well. Before you spoon some into each buttered bread slices, make sure you cut off the bread crusts.
Carrots and Hummus
Combine shredded carrots, raisins, and hummus in a bowl. Scoop, at least, a tablespoon of this spread onto your buttered bread the top with another piece of sliced bread. Cut off the sides.
Serve your scones with some thick cream, your assorted sandwiches and a pot of tea.
To all awesome moms out there, we love you! Happy mother’s day!