We know it’s not summer yet… but if you are planning to throw a party soon, this do-it-yourself watermelon keg will absolutely make your shindig a sure winner! Aside from the fact that it makes an excellent talking point, the watermelon keg also makes a great, healthy, refreshing and yummylicious drink for everyone. If you want to spice things up a bit I’m sure you can use your imagination with other things to add.
Check out the video to learn how it’s done!
Watermelon is about 92% water but, it’s also packed with essential nutrients that are great for the body. Consuming watermelon daily can provide you with potassium which helps fight cardiovascular diseases and high blood pressure. It also has a high level of antioxidants that helps get rid of free radicals and protects your cells from getting damaged as we age. Watermelon also contains vitamins A, B6 and C, a good amount of lycopene, and amino acids.
If you’re trying to shed some extra pounds you’ve gained indulging from the recent holiday meals, a cup of watermelon is a healthy alternative detox snack since it only has about 40 calories. Best of all, it is low in fat and sodium. These are just some of the few good reasons to eat watermelon. The best one is that it’s yummy!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 whole watermelon fruit
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of simple syrup
- Slices of lime
- Fresh mint
- Liquor (optional)
Tools you’ll need:
- Spoon/Ice cream scoop
- Paring knife
- Large bowl
- Apple corer or a clean metal pipe to punch the hole
1. Clean the outside of your watermelon by washing it with running water.
2. Using a paring knife, slice the top and bottom of the watermelon.
3. Scoop out all the insides of the watermelon using a spoon or ice cream scoop.
4. Into a blender, make a smoothie by combining watermelon, water/liquor, and syrup.
5. Drill a hole near the bottom of the melon using an apple corer.
6. Insert the spigot inside the hole and lock it to keep it in place
7. Pour the smoothie inside the keg.
8. To serve, crush a few slices of lemon and mint and add ice cubes into a glass before mixing the watermelon smoothie.