Check out these homemade cups that change color with temperature. In this video, you’ll learn how to make your very own handmade thermochromatic mug. Pretty neat right? These DIY color changing mugs make awesome gifts for any occasion! Watch the video below and know how easy it is to make them.
1.Start searching for an 8-bit design of your choice and print it out.
2.Cut it out and outline the shape on your mug using the cut stencil. You can also free hand this if you want.
3.Now start outlining using the porcelain marker.
4. When you are done with drawing and shading the black outlines, paint the red part of the heart using porcelain paint.
5.For free hand designs like the one below, use the same steps as mentioned above. Don’t worry about making mistakes, you can always clean it up using alcohol.
6. Now follow the instructions of your paint and markers and bake the mugs to seal the design if they need.
7. Finally, for the color changing effect, you will need heat sensitive pigment and ceramic varnish.
8. Add a little bit of pigment and ceramic varnish, and then mix it well. Make sure it’s pretty opaque but not too thick.
9. Start painting the red parts of the design. Make sure to apply two thin coats and let it dry for 10 hours.
10. Now the most awaited part, test your mugs by adding hot water into it. Watch the magic unfold right before your eyes!
The effect obviously is not permanent, it goes back to black once it completely cools down, which takes like 20 minutes. And you can also pour some cold water to fasten this process.