Are you ready for another fun candle-making project? Rachel Williams is here to show us the easiest way on how to create your very own long-lasting candle made of vegetable shortening and natural essential oils. We promise you, the end result is way better than the wax candles being sold in the stores. These make great gifts and what’s even better is you can personalize each candle to each person you make them for!
Let’s get on to some candle making. Check out the step by step tutorial below.
- Crisco vegetable shortening
- Natural essential oils
- Wicks or cotton strings
- Crayons (This is optional. If you like your candle 100% wax free, do not add this)
- Container (Used Bath and Body container or Mason jar)
- Tacky glue
1. First cut the wick just about the right height.
2. Glue the bottom of the wick and paste it into the bottom of the container.
3. Melt the vegetable shortening using a pot/pan and set the heat on medium setting stirring constantly till there are no more lumps.
4. Next, peel off the crayon wrappers and break them into pieces.
5. Remove the shortening from the heat and stir in the crayons until fully melted.
6. Pour a few drops of essential oils on the melted shortening and continue stirring until it solidifies.
7. Pour into the container and allow it to dry.
1. Fill the mason jar with shortening.
2. Melt the shortening in the microwave. Remove the jar every 20 seconds out of the microwave, and add a little bit more of shortening till the jar is completely filled.
3. Next, peel off the crayon wrappers and break them into pieces.
4. Add and stir in the crayons until melted.
6. Pour a few drops of essential oils on the melted shortening and continue stirring.
7. When the shortening is starting to solidify, insert the wick so it stays in place.
There you go, now you can can have the exact candle you want without having to spend tons of dollars for it. The possibilities are endless!