These doily lanterns look like a million bucks! They make a stunning centerpiece or a delicate accent to any room and they’re an easy upcycle too. These lanterns are cheap, easy and fun to create.
These doily lanterns would look great as nightlight hanging in your home. They also look fabulous as wedding decorations, and they are perfect for gifting too! Learn how to easily make doily lanterns by just following a few simple steps. The materials are provided below, and you can watch the video for the complete instructions.
For this pretty DIY project, you’ll need:
- Petroleum Jelly
- Elmer’s glue
- Doilies ( pick your color preference)
- Mixing bowl
- Paint brush
- Mixing spoon or Measuring Spoon
- Straight pin
- Light Kit with a 60-watt bulb or LED bulb
1. Blow up the balloon.
2. After the balloon is blown up, coat it with a light layer of petroleum jelly to prevent the doilies from sticking. To keep the balloon in place while doing this step place it in a bowl or a small dish.
3. Now that your balloon is fully covered with petroleum jelly, set it aside and start working on the glue mixture. To begin mixing the glue mixture, add the glue and 1 tablespoonful of flour. Next add 2 tablespoons of water and mix it all together.
4. Now take your first doily and put it on the balloon. Line the center up at the very top of the balloon and smooth it out.
5. Start painting the glue mixture coat and make sure you even it out.
6. Add smaller doilies and add a little bit of overlap so there are no open spaces in the lantern. Coat it again with the glue mixture. Leave a small area open so that you can insert the LED tea light.
7. Let the doilies dry overnight to make sure they are completely dried up before handling.
8. Once it’s all been dried up, you can now pop the balloon with a pin. Retrieve the pop balloon inside the lantern.
9. Insert the lighting on the hole. Again, make sure you use a bulb that doesn’t burn very hot. Use a bulb that is 60 watts or less or LED lights work perfectly too!