When your kids have outgrown their toys already, what’s left to do is either give it to others or throw them away, unless you are planning to have another one soon. But most of us have a habit of just keeping them because of its sentimental value which ends up to just being a clutter. When you just can’t let go of these toys especially your beloved action figures, might as well upcycle them to something more useful. Here’s a project that will surely be a new favorite.
What you’ll need:
- action figures or old toys
- spray paint of your choice
- x-acto knife for cleanup and trimming
- fine grit sandpaper
- E6000 glue
- super glue of choice
- painter’s tape
- lamp (must be skinny and tall for best end results)
1.Use the tape and a plastic bag or glove, cover the end of the lamp to avoid paint when spraying.
2. Lightly sand the lamp and the action figures especially the contact points where you’ll apply the glue. You may do this later on as well. This technique will make it easier for the glue and paint application.
3. Arrange your figures to the desired position. Take time in doing this as this is the most time-consuming part. Then, you may glue them to each other.
4.Once everything is glued, set it aside and let the glue dry for at least 24 hours.
5. After 24 hours, check to see that every surface is glued properly, making sure that there are no moving parts. If there are any issues, this is the part to fix them before you start painting them. Use an x-acto knife to clean up any excess glue spots.
6. Cover the cord of your lamp with a tape, then apply a white base coat using a paint + primer made especially for plastics. This is not necessary, but it can make a big difference and help the metallic paint get better coverage.
7. Now for the exciting part – Apply your final coat of paint with your desired color. You may need to do a second coat for this after a few minutes making sure that all spots are covered.
You may try this with as many action figures as you can, or try just a few pieces depending on what end results you’d like to have. You can add a theme or a story to it as well. This action figure lamp is a very quick and easy-to-do project, achieving a dramatic effect touch to your side table.