Foods are not just good for eating but most of them also serve different purposes, like our fruit for the day – lemons. Lemons have hundreds of uses you never thought of and are not just for cooking, lemonades, and cocktails. Today, you’ll learn 10 unusual and surprising uses of lemons that are very simple.
1. Bug Repellent
– Citrus oil is known as the weapon against insects of all kinds. Simply placing lemon peels outside the house along the windowsills and cracks will keep spiders, ants, and other creepy crawlers away.
2. Shoe & Furniture Polish
– When you mix 2 tsp of lemon juice with 3 tbsp olive oil, you’ll instantly have all natural, inexpensive polish for leather shoes and wooden furniture. To apply, use a dry cloth, let sit for a few minutes, and wipe off .
3. Energize Your Day
– To start your day right, keep half of a lemon at your desk to smell periodically through the day. It is said that the smell of lemon is known as one of the most uplifting scents.
4. Prevents Rice From Sticking
– If you don’t like cooking rice because it is sticky, add 1 tbsp lemon juice to rice water to get picture-perfect rice.
5. Remove Fish Odor From Hands
– To remove the stinky smell of fish from your hands, rub a slice of lemon over the affected skin and then wash as normal.
6. Invisible Ink!
– This is a fun activity to do with kids. Make ‘secret’ notes using invisible ink. Simply mix lemon juice and water in a bowl and dip a Q-tip in and write your message on a piece of paper. When it’s dry, iron the paper, revealing the message.
7. Pot Cleaner
– To remove burnt or pesky stuck-on food from your stainless steel pots. Fill the pot with enough water, add a half of a lemon (including the peel), and just boil. Voila!
8. Hair Highlighter
– Using a spray bottle, fill in with fresh lemon juice and spray on areas of hair you’d like to highlight. Expose hair in the sun until your hair dries. Repeat daily to see results of the lightening of your hair.
9. Fruit & Veggie Wash
– Chemical-free and a natural less expensive way to clean fruits and veggies, add 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of white vinegar to one cup of water to a spray bottle. Spray mixture on veggies and fruits.
10. Deodorize Your Garbage Disposal
– To keep your garbage disposal from smelly odors, push a half lemon down into it just before you go to bed. Turn on some warm water, and let the ground lemon sit in there overnight.
When nature gives you lemons, put them to good use.